BGP & CIDR blocks

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Sat May 9 04:47:12 UTC 1998

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Rob Skrobola wrote:

>      If your AS is in an appropriate (your upstream providers) autnum,
> and the route object for the prefix is in the <pick the registry of your
> choice> things work without a phone call. When they don't work, our noc
> does a good job of helping to figure out what the problem is and getting
> it fixed.. That exception is the process Jon is in.
>
>      Jon, sorry that you had difficulty with this prefix. However, many
> many new prefixes get routed over ANS without anyone calling anyone.

It sounds like the snag I may have run into was an AS macro issue.  The
instructions at ra.net don't exactly make clear how important it seems to
be to get into your backbone providers' AS macros.  From talking to our
upstreams and the ANS NOC, I had the impression all I had to do was
register our AS and route(s) with one of the routing registries...and two
ANS updates after doing so, I was left wondering what the deal was.

Things appear fixed, yet I still don't know how to see if we're in our
providers' AS macros.  Is there an easy way (other than emailing the AS
maintainer) to get the macro from radb.ra.net if you don't know the
macro's name?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |