Core router bakeoff?

Richard Welty rwelty at neworks.net
Fri May 8 13:42:46 UTC 1998

At 05:47 PM 5/7/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Arnaud Girsch writes:
>> Why not considering the 4th vendor, Cabletron, for this kind of equipment,
>> before using PCs.

>PCs are cheap and I know them well. I wasn't aware Cabletron even had
>a box with a BGP-4 implementation in it.

they just bought Yago, who were developing an ASIC based "big honking
router". it's just hit beta. if i were staying at INet Solutions (today is
my last day at the old shop) i'd have an evalution/beta unit in here right
now. they're still working on the various and sundry port cards; the
original version didn't have a lot of the WAN cards it needed to be a
really useful backbone piece.

>That sounds like salesspeak. I've used lots of cabletron hubs and such
>over the years, but they never seemed to have real routers.

but the smartswitch 2200 runs RIPv1... and according to cabletron's press
release, it does "level 4 switching"...

cheers,
  richard

--