Core router bakeoff?

Steve Sobol sjsobol at devel.nacs.net
Fri May 8 03:46:09 UTC 1998

On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 09:30:21PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:

> I still don't like CISCO's RAS implementations, but I have to say this -
> for all their warts, including some business policies that I consider
> nothing short of INSANE, their router hardware and IOS still win the prize
> for uptime in my experience.

An anecdote that is related to this...

In January, on the day we (NACS.NET) had our open house, the RSP-2
board in our 7513 (which we bought used) died.

Cisco worked with us to get a replacement in four hours, even though they
were only contractually obligated to 24 hours.

Kudos to Cisco's Cleveland office for going WAY beyond the call of duty.

And when I'm ready to buy a dedicated router, it WILL be a Cisco.

(Oh yeah. Other than that, no downtime issues yet.)

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,

Info: http://www.ybecker.net or Usenet: <6i6eeu$kr9$1 at camel18.mindspring.com>

mailto: sjsobol at nstc.com, sjsobol at nacs.net, sjsobol at apk.net