Core router bakeoff?

Sean Donelan SEAN at SDG.DRA.COM
Fri May 8 07:42:11 UTC 1998

>A real example from our core:
>
>XXXXXXX-CoreX uptime is 38 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, 49 minutes
>System restarted by power-on

XXXXXX>show version
IOS (tm) GS Software (RSP-K-M), Version 10.3(7), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Wed 01-Nov-95 14:07 by vatran
Image text-base: 0x600087E0, data-base: 0x60530000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.3(16645) [szhang 571], INTERIM SOFTWARE
ROM: GS Bootstrap Software (RSP-BOOT-M), Version 10.3(8), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

XXXXXX uptime is 102 weeks, 1 day, 8 hours, 47 minutes
System restarted by reload

10.3 was a fairly stable release.

The longest running devices on our network are likely some DECserver 100's
stuck somewhere long since forgotten.  Every year or two, we get a phone
call about terminals not working and it turns out the original load host
for the terminal server had been upgraded several times in the last decade,
and eventually retired from service.

There is something to the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."