Core router bakeoff?

Jon Green jcgreen at netins.net
Thu May 7 21:31:23 UTC 1998

On Thu, 07 May 1998 16:54:27 -0400, perry at piermont.com writes:

>Rob M VanHooren writes:
>> Hi, just a quickie (respond via e-mail, I'll summarize to the list)...
>>
>> Need to build a core NSP backbone.
>>
>> Who's equipment do I want:
>
>Like this is a question?
>
>You don't want Bay and you certainly don't want 3Com. If your network
>is fairly slow (ethernets and T1s only) you can use PCs running a
>reasonable BSD and GateD. Otherwise, the only commercial choice is
>Cisco.

Wait.. a Bay BCN will push 1 Gb/s through the box, but you are recommending
a PC running GateD over a Bay router?  If you are going to tell people
"don't use this" a least give some reasons why to justify it.

-Jon

    *      Jon Green            *         "Life's a dance             *
   *   jcgreen at netINS.net       *          you learn as you go"        *
  *  Finger for Geek Code/PGP   *                                       *
 *  #include "std_disclaimer.h" * http://www.netins.net/showcase/jcgreen *