NANOG 13 Logistics Update

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Thu May 7 21:55:35 UTC 1998

DHCP - you bet.

Interstingly enough, there was a recommendation at one point to have DHCP
address assignment free, but charge $3 for a piece of paper with a static
IP address.

Then someone else suggested a competitive market model was needed, with
multiple static-IP-address-on-paper vendors to allow the market to produce
the most efficient paper static address producers.  A fraction of the
$3/address would then go into an allocation fund.  This allocation fund
(until congress gets involved) would be then be used to lower the cost of
cookies at NANOG.

Bill

At 04:07 PM 5/7/98 -0400, Paul Ferguson wrote:
>At 03:18 PM 5/7/98 -0400, William B. Norton wrote:
>

>>Connectivity at NANOG 13
>>------------------------
>>Bring your laptops and cables!  We will have over 400 ports available plus
>>wireless connectivity including 40 wired tables.  If you need to configure
>>your firewalls in advance...

What lookup algorithm do the tables use?  Cisco's new trie?  If a hash,
corned beef, roast beef, red flannel, or what?

As to Jamie Rishaw's comment,

>Please fill out the isp-ip-cookie-template.txt located at http://rs.arnc.net.
>The American Registry for Nanog Cookies is a non-profit organization.
>
>from http://rs.arnc.net/feeschedule.html :
>Your Cookie Fee will be based on the total allocation of cookies received
>at the previous NANOG.  Users receiving cookies for the first time will be
>charged a fee based on the number of chocolate chips in your initial cookie.
>The cookie allocation fee will include inverse addressing (toilet-paper)
>service, updates and maintenance.

Are we having a problem of competitive registries for NANOG cookies, magic
cookies, and browser cookies?