NANOG 13 Logistics Update

Jerry Scharf scharf at vix.com
Thu May 7 21:27:31 UTC 1998

> DHCP - you bet.
>
> Interstingly enough, there was a recommendation at one point to have DHCP
> address assignment free, but charge $3 for a piece of paper with a static
> IP address.
>
> Then someone else suggested a competitive market model was needed, with
> multiple static-IP-address-on-paper vendors to allow the market to produce
> the most efficient paper static address producers.  A fraction of the
> $3/address would then go into an allocation fund.  This allocation fund
> (until congress gets involved) would be then be used to lower the cost of
> cookies at NANOG.

A quick estimate of the number of dollars generated on this scheme vs number
of cookies is of concern. Could this be just another scheme where the bulk of
the funds end up in "administrative fees" with little benefit going to the
poor staving people waiting for their cookies. I think I need to call 60
Minutes, or is this more Dateline fare?

jerry