NANOG 13 Logistics Update

William B. Norton wbn at merit.edu
Thu May 7 19:18:24 UTC 1998

Hi all -

Bunch of logistics information about the upcoming NANOG in Dearborn...

NANOG 13 Agenda
---------------
As usual, we have a very full agenda.  See:

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-9806/topics.html

for details.

I'd like to especially point out that we are starting the tutorials early
this time. We have a Sunday early afternoon tutorial "Introduction to RPSL"
(Cengiz Alaettinoglu, ISI, Curtis Villamizar, ANS ). In addition, we will
be going all the way up to 4PMish on Tuesday, so book your flights
accordingly.

NANOG Registration
------------------
We will be cutting off registration at 500 again. Please register at:

http://www.nanog.org

If you are using NorthWest airlines, note that the NW machinists contract
negotiation difficulties have resulted in a work slowdown, causing
occasional flight delays and cancellations. You may want to take this into
account scheduling your flights - one strategy is to fly in on Saturday AM
and return Tuesday AM.

Hotel Room Block Extended until May 15th
The NANOG hotel block reservation has been extended until May 15th, after
which time the hotel room cost will rise from the NANOG rate of $125/night
to the normal rate of $165/night.  Make your reservations directly with the
Hyatt, mentioning the NANOG meeting:

Hyatt Regency Dearborn Hotel
Fairlane Town Center
Dearborn MI 48126-2793
Telephone: 1 313 593 1234
Sales Fax: 1 313 593 3366

If you run into problems, contact Pam Ciesla (Merit) at 734-936-0172 or
e-mail her at pam at merit.edu.

Connectivity at NANOG 13
------------------------
Bring your laptops and cables!  We will have over 400 ports available plus
wireless connectivity including 40 wired tables.  If you need to configure
your firewalls in advance...

Address space: 207.75.182.0-207.75.183.0

We will also have a small number of PCs running a flavor of unix in a
terminal room down the hall.

We will have IPv6 connectivity, IPv6 DNS, and a Squid web cache server on
site.

For those who can not attend, the meeting will be cast over both the Real
Broadcast Network (RBN) as well as to the MBone for those that use vic/vat.
 RBN has graciously agreed to store the meeting on disk for later on-demand
replay as well. We will ask the speakers provide web pointers in advance
and link them into the agenda for those attending remotely (the camera
shots of the screens never work well).

Looking for Monday Evening BOFs
-------------------------------
We have 3 rooms and the main ballroom Monday evening to use, so we are
looking for Birds-of-a-Feather session proposals from folks.  If you want
to suggest a BOF or lead one, please send me a paragraph or so describing
the BOF and the audience.  These can be groups of interest, coordination
discussions, emerging technology discussions.  If possible, list members of
the community that share an interest in airing the topic. There will be a
preference for BOFs which have not been done at NANOG in the past.

The only stipulation for these BOFs is that these *must not* be commercial
product/service promotions.  Fair warning: The community will respond very
harshly to blatant commercial pitches.

T-Shirts Welcome
----------------
While we do walk a fine line on the commercial influences at NANOG, noone
has ever complained about free T-shirts at NANOG! To this end, if your
company would like to ship boxes of T-shirts to the meeting, there should
be no shortage of takers!  If you are interested, send me e-mail
(wbn at merit.edu).

Beer-n-Gear Monday Evening
--------------------------
Aptis, Bay and Cisco have graciously sponsored the beer-n-gear event Monday
evening, immediately following the meeting.  The kegs will be tapped around
5PM, dig into thousands of dollars worth of overpriced hotel food, and
enjoy some lively technical discussions over some of the latest gear.  (My
experience is that these discussions get only livelier with the addition of
beer ;-) )

Sponsorships
------------
The NANOG counts on the support of the community for everything from agenda
topics to loaner equipment and event sponsorship. We would like to thank
the following companies for their commitments to NANOG:

+Bay Networks for providing the room connectivity.  We will have dozens of
hubs for over 400 wired ethernet ports for this meeting!
+RBN for casting the meeting and providing storage and reply facilities
+Cisco for providing the hardware and staff to cast the meeting on the MBone
+University of Michigan Information technology Division for providing PCs
for the terminal room
+Aptis, Bay, and Cisco for participating in the Beer-n-Gear event
+Cabletron for providing Wireless transceivers and a handful of loaner
PCMCIA cards
+MichNet for providing transit connectivity to the Hyatt Dearborn

While the beer-n-gear event is currently full, we are still looking for
companies to sponsor (or co-sponsor) breaks, breakfasts, or lunches for the
meeting.  If you would like more information, please send e-mail to me
(wbn at merit.edu) with "NANOG 13 SPONSORSHIP" in the subject line or call
(734-764-9430).

Want to help set up equipment Sunday Morning?
If you are around Sunday morning and want something to do, help us set up
routers and hubs, run wires, set up the terminal room, etc.  Stop down to
the Hubbard Ballroom and lend a hand - we have lots to set up in just a few
morning hours, so we could really use the help!

That's all I have.  Cheers -

Bill