BGP & CIDR blocks

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Thu May 7 02:06:50 UTC 1998

Is it unreasonable of me to think it's awfully backwards of ANS.NET to
require anyone getting a new CIDR block to physically call ANS's NOC and
say "please listen to routes for this block from this AS"?

First they told me "we don't trust BGP, so we use the various routing
registries to build our routing tables."  So I got our new block and our
AS in radb.ra.net.  A few days (and an ANS routing table update or two) go
by, and still we have no connectivity to ANS.  Then I get an email from
them asking me to please call thier NOC to verify that they really should
listen to our route.  Isn't the point of BGP that you don't have to
manually take care of routing updates?

Are there other backbones I need to call to make sure they see our routes?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  This space reserved for routing
 Network Administrator       |  update confirmations.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |