Routing Policy and http://rs.arin.net/ip-allocation.html

Stephen Schmidt steve at eagle.ais.net
Wed May 6 16:51:38 UTC 1998

> For the first time we have had to deal with  Sprint's routing policy as
> defined by http://www.sprint.net/filter.htm.  Here is the situation.
>
> One of our dialup customers wants to access his website in the
> 206.116.31.0/24 network at another provider.  PSI is advertising it as a
> /24.  According to Sprint's routing policy, they do not honour anything
> longer than a /19 in 206.0.0.0/8 .

It's interesting that PSI routes it at all.  While IP ownership (note the
NON-PORTABLE below) and routing aren't necessarily interconnected, I
suggest contacting the block's owner and seeing if they know it's
alternately routed.  If they wish, they can request that PSI un-route this
block.  However, that would break whomever is using it.  The user should
re-number into PSI space, and this issue will go away.  If the user is
multi-homed, they should investigate the adivisibility of getting a CIDR
block which they can announce as an aggregate.

My $0.02
___
iSTAR Internet Inc. (NETBLK-ISTAR0005)
   250 Albert Street, Suite 202
   Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6M1
   Canada

   Netname: ISTAR0005
   Netblock: 206.116.0.0 - 206.116.255.0
   Maintainer: ISTR

   Coordinator:
      iSTAR Registration  (ISTARREG-ARIN)  registration at ISTAR.CA
      613-780-2200
   Alternate Contact:
      iSTAR Internet Inc.  (ISTARDS-ARIN)  direct-assist at istar.ca
      tel (613) 780-2200  fax (613) 780-6666

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   NS1.OTTAWA.ISTAR.NET         198.53.64.7
   NS2.OTTAWA.ISTAR.NET         198.53.64.14

   ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

   Record last updated on 23-May-96.
   Database last updated on 5-May-98 16:09:35 EDT.

--
    _/    _/  _/  _/                                     Stephen E. Schmidt