Another major smurf run

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Wed May 6 02:58:14 UTC 1998

Karl,

While I applaud your efforts, think it is the right the to do (given a lack
of action on the part of ISPs responsible and the damage smurf attacks can
cause), I have one (hopefully minor) request:

Due to the unfortunate inability for some ISPs to read statements like:

  *** please refer to whois.apnic.net for more information ***
   *** before contacting APNIC                              ***

I have been receiving quite a few demands to fix "my" smurf amplifying
networks (in particular, one Jon Lusky <lusky at earth.voyageronline.net> has
been daily sending me a note containing the entirety of Craig's document
for each of the APNIC delegated networks that shows up in your list.  There
are (sadly, far too many) others, but usually when I send back the canned
"APNIC is a registry, check here for more information" message, they get
the hint.  Mr. Lusky is apparently "special").

Would it be possible to hit APNIC's whois server for addresses in the APNIC
blocks (202/7, 210/7, 61/8) before installing them in your web page?

Thanks,
-drc