SMURF AMPLIFIER BLOCK LIST -- VERY LARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri May 1 17:28:04 UTC 1998

On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 11:47:19AM -0500, Tim Salo wrote:
> It would be interesting to see if the use of these networks as smurf
> aplifiers increases once they are published on nanog.

	I agree.  It would be interesting to see.

> (Are we doing all the hard work for the smurfers, namely creating a
> consolidated list of all of the known smurf amplifiers?)

	It actually increases the likeleyhood that they will get
filtered, noticed, and fixed by the owner of the ip space.  If
a few of us filter them, and they start to get used as amplifiers,
they will start to notice a bit more (hopefully) that their
connectivity is starting to suck, by sending out all these icmp
replies, and track it down.

	- Jared

--
       Work: jared at qual.net - We Make The Internet Work for Your Business
	     9-5pm(ET) 800 637 4424x2634 - 24x7 NOC - 800 424 3223
	    pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net