IP over SONET considered harmful?

Sean M. Doran smd at clock.org
Tue Mar 24 13:20:28 UTC 1998

| A more flexible 'knob' would be cool, something like combining the 'cos'
| bits in the labels with the decision to decremening or not. This will give
| the management station the power to 'trace' even the regular trace packet
| can't do.

No, no, no, no, no.  You are confusing TTL expiration with
"visibility".

You have a trade off between size of forwarding loop and
TTL decrement.  The longer it takes to decrement a TTL to 0
in a forwarding loop, the worse the loop's effects will be.

What you want -- and I think you are very strange for wanting it,
by the way, but I will supply you a solution anyway -- is a knob
that modifies the ICMP ttl exceeded message that is sent back
to the source.

	Sean.