Internic hosage

Dean Robb pceasy at norfolk.infi.net
Fri Mar 20 17:37:42 UTC 1998

At 22:59 3/18/98 -0800, you wrote:
>For a good example of this, whois perhaps.youwant.to, then
>nslookup perhaps.youwant.to. It looks like someone tried to pull
>a Kashpureff that didn't really succeed.
>
>The nslookup version of perhaps.youwant.to came first, by the way.
>
>So what can we do to actually get something done about it? Anyone?

Currently, I'm talking to a couple of people in the computer news world
(one electronic, one electronic and print) about doing a nice expose-style
article.  Seems that we should be getting SOMETHING for our $100, no?

Within the last couple of weeks, a small-scale write-in campaign was
conducted by news.admin.net.abuse.email and SPAM-L folks over NSI's
statement that false information in WhoIs wasn't an issue anyone cared
about.  It did prompt NSI to delete SOME of the false data...not the domain
that the registrant lied to get, just the obviously false data itself
(phone number, address, et alia)...on the most complained-about accounts.
A feeble sop to the complainants at best.

There is also at least one attorney who has expressed interest in a
class-action lawsuit (alleging breach of contract and using some very
interesting old [but still in force] laws regarding government
contractors).  I'm not pursuing that avenue actively at this time,
hopefully pressure and/or outcry will force NSI to just do what they are
supposed to do and enforce their contract.

Spam:  it's not just for breakfast anymore....

Dean Robb
PC-Easy
On-site computer services
(757) 495-EASY [3279]