Someones being naughty again...

Marc Slemko marcs at znep.com
Sat Mar 14 06:36:13 UTC 1998

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Pat Darisme wrote:

> I don't see a problem here ?

Not unless you have a larger MTU on the "outside" interface than
the "inside" interface, then you lose bigtime.

I would check to see if this is the case in this situation, but
those addresses don't come into my network so I can't.

Offhand, I can't think of any other problems but I really discourage
people from using internal address space for this purpose because it:

	- breaks stuff like path MTU discovery, etc. when filtered.
	- prevents easy identification of links, whose they are, etc.
	  because you can't have reverse DNS and the addresses don't
	  belong to you.
	- causes confusion when multiple networks that are using such
	  addresses are merged or interconnected in the wrong (right)
	  way.

I like the idea behind why you would do it, but... can't justify it.