Q: IP Space Management Software

Ron Johnson rjohnson at bbn.com
Thu Mar 12 22:28:35 UTC 1998

I use Excel as well to maintain IP space.
Yes, I take a ton-O-Dogging from the MS basher crowd.
But, I have yet to see a computer program able to completely allocate IP space
with out leaving huge holes in blocks.

I wonder... ARIN obviously has the largest chunk of space to manage.
how are they doing it?

Oh, and a side note for the database flag bearers.
Databases, don't help much, as they tend to hide the view. Allocation of IP
space is akin to creation of jigsaw puzzles, that you received completed
intact and must cut to pieces and reassemble to look like the original with a
little loss as possible. Databases are great methods to make allocation
information available to others for digestion. But do little to aid in the
allocation process, like helping determine what size block is available for
specific customer.

So, it's Excel..... Indefinitely.... sigh....

--

Ron Johnson
Strange, but true.....

Hostmaster, GTE Internetworking (1-888-GENUITY)

rjohnson at bbn.com