backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

czmok jan at ipf.de
Tue Jun 30 23:53:23 UTC 1998

> Most backbone providers run Squid in their datacenters and/or POPs and
> offer to do ICP with any customer who wants it.  I don't like ICP -- see
> http://www.vix.com/ietf/htcp.txt for the protocol I proposed to replace
> it.  But the model is sound, and I would like to see more backbone
> providers doing this.

I would like to "form" a developer group which forms htcp
into squid allowing "more people" to use a new scheme for that, instead
of using icp for the neighbor queries. I started to look at the code
and will be ready to start in about 1-2 weeks.

how about some comments on the htcp code, paul ? Is it accepted so far
as is or do you receive many comments on this ?

> And again, the advertisers will be in full control, the standards will get
> followed, and the backbone will have more bits free for Internet Telephony.

... and that shall be the future ... :-((

as i see the internet getting more and more commercial and concentrated
to vbf's (very big firms) the small to medium isps shall work together not
apart. That "energy" of working together formed the internet so far (at
least i could tell this for germany)

no more comments..

Jan

IPF.NET Service Provider GmbH
Senior Network Engineer

btw: a bit off-topic - but: any one of you know a good and cheap csu /dsu
for t1 speeds and ds3 speeds?

btw2: network - providers: we need price quotes for some ds3 lines in the
states (contact me on czmok at ipf.de or phone + 49 69 17084-52 for details)