small vent

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Tue Jun 30 15:42:22 UTC 1998

Hi,

>> Actually, that was "a", what I call prefix theft.
>I don't see how it can be on the rise.

A tongue-in-cheek rhetorical statement?  For one reason, some spammers have
figured out injecting prefixes into the routing system is not particularly
complicated given the opportunity.  Consider it another vector of the spam
contagion.

>Why aren't all the big providers putting distribute lists on
>their customer BGP peers?

I suspect the same reason some people don't use condoms.  Trusting folk to
not do the wrong thing makes life so simple -- except when it doesn't work...

Regards,
-drc