Digex transparent proxying

Jeremy Porter jerry at freeside.fc.net
Tue Jun 30 08:21:29 UTC 1998

In message <g3af6xr2d5.fsf at bb.rc.vix.com>, Paul Vixie writes:
>> If I was doing that, I would also deny service to proxy servers and
>> display a nice message telling the user to remove the proxy or bitch about
>> its forced use.
>
>Playboy.COM did something like that to @Home last year for a similar reason.

Who won?  My bet is @Home.  The cache operater has a relationship
with the customer, and can more easily "explain" that the content
site is broken.  I still find it very hard to believe and content
provider of significance would deliberately break proxies, when
the proxies do not prevent them from doing anything they really need to do
(maybe make it a little more work, but not much.)

---
Jeremy Porter, Freeside Communications, Inc.      jerry at fc.net
PO BOX 80315 Austin, Tx 78708  | 512-458-9810
http://www.fc.net