small vent

Daniel Karrenberg Daniel.Karrenberg at ripe.net
Sun Jun 28 06:57:46 UTC 1998

  > "David R. Conrad" <davidc at apnic.net> writes:
  > APNIC has a policy that _all_ "permanent" reassignments made by ISPs must
  > be recorded in the APNIC database before address space is considered used.
  > This policy is recursive; it includes address space assigned to customers
  > of ISP customers of ISPs (etc), even to the point of individual /32s
  > assigned in the case of static dialups or virtual hosting.
  >
  > I believe RIPE-NCC has a similar policy (although their hierarchy is much
  > shallower that the AP region's for reasons I've never been to clear on).

For the record: The RIPE NCC does have the same policy. Looking at the
relative depths of the registration hierarchy and possible explanations
is an interesting idea.

I also fully agree that a single whois interface to all address space
registrations is very desirable.  The RIPE NCC and ARIN provide that
using the -a flag on their servers.  This is easy for us because we
happen to use almost identical database schemata.  The InterNIC and now
ARIN face the problem of a different schema.  Exchange between the
databases has been on the agenda for at least 5 years.  If it was easy
it would have been done now.  If you want the priority raised, talk to
*your* regional registry.

Daniel