backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

Hank Nussbacher hank at ibm.net.il
Sat Jun 27 19:04:01 UTC 1998

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Paul Gauthier wrote:

For the past 4 years, AS378 has blocked port 80 (all academic network of 8
universities and many colleges) and forced all users thru multiple proxy
servers (most recently Squid).  Over the years we had to build up a list
of sites to bypass.  But in addition, one has to provide the ability to
bypass based on source IP address (some users just don't want it - even if
it speeds up their page downloads and toasts their bread at the same
time.)

>From what I have seen, the Alteon/Inktomi/Netcache/Cisco solutions do
*not* allow for an unlimited bypass list - both based on destination or
source IP address.  When that happens, the ISP, Digex in this case, can
have a simple authenticated web page where a customer can add their CIDR
block to a bypass list in the transparent proxy.  Till then, all the
bashing will continue.

Add to the things that will break - simplex or asymetrric routing.  More
and more customers are ordering simplex satellite lines.  Imagine a
European company that buys a 512kb line from an ISP but also buys a T1
simplex satellite line to augment b/w.  The http request goes out with the
sat-link CIDR block as source.  The request hits the transparent proxy for
a USA based page.  The proxy retrieves the page from the USA, using its
expensive transAtlantic link.  Page hits the proxy.  Now the transparent
proxy needs to deliver the page.  But the requestors IP address is located
at some satellite provider in the USA (previously discussed here), so the
transparent proxy routes the page back across the Atlantic for delivery
via the satellite simplex line.

Same problems happen with assymetric routing.  I blv Vern has a study that
shows that 60% of all routes on the Internet are assymetric.

Bottom line: w/o bypass based on source or destination, the bashing will
continue.

Hank Nussbacher
Israel