Digex transparent proxying

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Sat Jun 27 14:37:02 UTC 1998

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 07:30:08AM -0700, Sean M. Doran wrote:
> Cool, Karl.  Then you would be denying  your customer access
> to a market -- a potentially large market -- without telling them.

Excuse me?

My customer is the one who would be putting such a thing on the web
server that we host for them.

So now people don't get to choose who can and cannot see their content?

Excuse me once again?

The person denying their customer access is the one putting these caches in
place and giving their customer no choice to go around them by STEALING
their packet flows.

The proper response to that is for the people who have the right to determine
how, and by who, their content is viewed, to deny those people access to that
content unless they can determine who is viewing the content, how often it is
being viewed, and that the content being viewed by those people is actually
correct and up-to-date because it is coming directly from their servers.

Let the market sort it out.

> Even only indirectly countable "views" are good for brand managers
> and marketers, hence the popularity of such things as outdoor advertising.

Not if you can't count them at all!  A transparent proxy cache reports
nothing back to the originating site, ergo, those "views" are lost and
never reported, even by inference.

Outdoor signage is in fact reportable, because you can survey the traffic
going past a given point and get the count that way.

> Ironic.  Where can they sue?
>
> 	Sean.

You, for being stupid beyond words.

Oh, I forgot - being stupid and twisting people's words is now considered
a protected class in the United States.

Go take your Lithium Sean, you forgot your pill this morning.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV