Digex transparent proxying

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Sat Jun 27 14:11:03 UTC 1998

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 03:39:48AM +0000, Michael Shields wrote:
> In article <35935600.FF54EBFE at infowest.com>,
> "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford at infowest.com> wrote:
> > It might also be time for content providers of time-sensitive data on the web
> > to redirect requests coming from Digex' proxy harvest machines to a web page
> > that says something along the lines of "Digex has intercepted your web request
> > and directed it through their web caching system.  This impacts the
> > time-sensitive data at this site.  Hence you cannot access this site in this
> > manner.
>
> Any content provider savvy enough to put that up could just as easily
> put in the proper headers to tag their content as cacheable or
> uncacheable or cacheable until time X, and that would be better for
> *everyone* involved.
> --
> Shields, CrossLink.

Or detect a proxy and refuse service (which, if I was doing this, is exactly
what I would do).

Not to mention those to derive advertising revenue from "views", and have no
way to measure them in a cached environment.  If I was doing that, I would
also deny service to proxy servers and display a nice message telling the
user to remove the proxy or bitch about its forced use.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV