Digex transparent proxying

Nathan Stratton nathan at skipper.robotics.net
Fri Jun 26 15:33:24 UTC 1998

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Aaron D. Gifford wrote:

> It might also be time for content providers of time-sensitive data on the web
> to redirect requests coming from Digex' proxy harvest machines to a web page
> that says something along the lines of "Digex has intercepted your web request
> and directed it through their web caching system.  This impacts the
> time-sensitive data at this site.  Hence you cannot access this site in this
> manner.  Please contact Digex at [insert contact info here] and politely ask
> Digex to stop intercepting your web requests.  When Digex removes this
> interception mechanism and permits you to connect directly to this site again
> without any interference or interception, you will again have full access.
> Please understand we cannot offer full access without a direct, unintercepted
> connection.  Otherwise we cannot maintain the quality and timeliness of the
> data this web site provides due to interference by a third party."  And so
> forth.  Just an idea really.

Hay, I like it, but I don't know how many content providers would be
willing to do something like this. In fact some contect providers with low
bandwidth connections my actually be happy with Digex. I am glad I am not
a Digex customer because I would now be looking for a new provider.

> Or does this hijacking mechanism NOT use harvesting techniques that can be
> detected by the source IP address?
>
> Blah.  Tis late, I must be babbling incoherently.

Na, I think it is a good idea, I just don't think that many people will
put in the effort to make it happen.

><>
Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net	 		nathan at robotics.net