backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Thu Jun 25 23:56:14 UTC 1998

On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 07:49:30PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Karl Denninger wrote:
>
> > > I wouldn't have a problem with Digex setting up some web caches and
> > > encouraging customers to setup their own caches and have them talk to the
> > > Digex ones via ICP...but caching everything without our knowledge/consent
> > > stinks.
> >
> > Sigh...... why did I know this kind of crap (hijacking connections) was
> > going to start.  Grrr.....
>
> It's a good thing we got our own CIDR block when renumbering out of uunet
> space.  If Digex doesn't reconsider this new policy, I'll be looking for
> quotes on non-proxied transit (T1 or Frame T1) in Gainesville, FL.

Well, I'd love to know where they think they get the authority to do this
from in the first place.... that is, absent active consent.

I'd be looking over contracts and talking to counsel if someone tried this
with transit connections that I was involved in.  Hijacking a connection
without knowledge and consent might even run afoul of some kind of tampering
or wiretapping statute (read: big trouble).....

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV