backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Thu Jun 25 23:28:24 UTC 1998

On Thu, Jun 25, 1998 at 04:11:18PM -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> Has anyone else noticed Digex playing with transparent proxying on their
> backbone?  We have one of our T1's through them, and found that all web
> traffic going out our Digex connection goes through a proxy.  We've got
> customers with web sites that are broken now because they can't
> communicate with things like Cybercash, because their outgoing http
> requests are hijacked and sent through a Digex web cache.
>
> Digex wants us to register each web server out on the rest of the
> internet that hosts from our network need to talk directly to.  This looks
> like the beginning of a big PITA.
>
> I wouldn't have a problem with Digex setting up some web caches and
> encouraging customers to setup their own caches and have them talk to the
> Digex ones via ICP...but caching everything without our knowledge/consent
> stinks.

Sigh...... why did I know this kind of crap (hijacking connections) was
going to start.  Grrr.....

I understand why people do it, but I do NOT approve of it.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV