backbone transparent proxy / connection hijacking

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Thu Jun 25 20:11:18 UTC 1998

Has anyone else noticed Digex playing with transparent proxying on their
backbone?  We have one of our T1's through them, and found that all web
traffic going out our Digex connection goes through a proxy.  We've got
customers with web sites that are broken now because they can't
communicate with things like Cybercash, because their outgoing http
requests are hijacked and sent through a Digex web cache.

Digex wants us to register each web server out on the rest of the
internet that hosts from our network need to talk directly to.  This looks
like the beginning of a big PITA.

I wouldn't have a problem with Digex setting up some web caches and
encouraging customers to setup their own caches and have them talk to the
Digex ones via ICP...but caching everything without our knowledge/consent
stinks.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.