Government scrutiny is headed our way

Andrew Metcalf prelude at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 21 16:26:21 UTC 1998

I have never heard of either of these things, and I don't think they are
worthy of the NANOG list. I use WinGate at home, it is a Win95 gateway
program, so you can have a little proxy at home for your other systems with
only one dialup. I'm sure many of you are familiar with it. I can't even
imagine how it could generate spoofed packets in its legitimate form ( and
I don't know of anyone who has modified it to do so). Go to Yahoo or
win95.com and look up Wingate for more info. As far as I remember the
reason SMURFING is called SMURFING is because the executable is called
smurf! How would you "ban that code"? Ban a commercially viable product?

The system.exe file? What is that? I have not heard of that either, I
assume you are talking about win95 still. Maybe you mean system.dat (system
registry)? The registry cannot be modified to spoof packets my friend.
Surely what you are talking about is not true. Neither of these claims is
worth techical merit. I'll now go back to my normal lurking.

thanks

andrew

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.
                                             - Voltaire