RBL Update (Re: Lets go vixie!! rbl)

Steve Sobol sjsobol at shell.nacs.net
Sun Jun 21 17:34:11 UTC 1998

On Sat, Jun 20, 1998 at 07:04:12AM -0700, Paul Vixie wrote:
> > >The agreement Paul Vixie makes RBL users sign states that EXPLICITLY.
>
> No.
>
> > >You are not allowed to use the RBL unless you disclose such use fully to
> > >your customers and/or downstreams.
>
> There is apparently some ambiguity surrounding my use of the verb "publish"
> in the RBL Subscriber Agreement.  I will see that this is fixed in V2.1.

Unfortunately, I can't even find the agreement now, so I can't comment.
Probably because I just woke up.

> > "Makes"... makes how?  I simply enabled it in my sendmail configs and ran
> > with it. Didn't even SEE where it mentioned that I *HAD* to go agree to
> > stuff.
>
> There is no requirement that anyone sign a license if they aren't subscribing,
> where "subscribing" means receiving it as an eBGP4 or DNS "feed".  If you're

Yup, I think this was a big part of my misunderstanding. I thought
subscription included things like hacking Sendmail to do DNS lookups at
the RBL site.

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,