RBL Update (Re: Lets go vixie!! rbl)

Steve Sobol sjsobol at shell.nacs.net
Wed Jun 17 23:34:38 UTC 1998

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 12:51:07PM -0500, Derek Balling wrote:
> >I think that logic's faulty, too, Dean.  The interim provider certainly
> >has right of control over it's own equipment; if the provider feels
> >that spam and such are impeding it's ability to provide such service,
> >it is certainly within it's rights to fix the problem.  If it's
> >customers don't like this, it's certainly not impossible for it to move
> >to another provider.
>
> I would have to agree with this, but I would say that the caveat is that
> the ISP should notify the customer (somewhere, anywhere) that they use the
> RBL (or at least that the ISP reserves the right to block domains and/or
> hosts from connecting/sending to the mail server). It can be in the fine
> print of the multi-page AUP that the customer gets shoved under their nose,
> but it should be in there.

The agreement Paul Vixie makes RBL users sign states that EXPLICITLY.
You are not allowed to use the RBL unless you disclose such use fully to
your customers and/or downstreams.

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,