Government scrutiny is headed our way

Karl Denninger karl at mcs.net
Tue Jun 16 19:10:29 UTC 1998

On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 02:45:06PM -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 01:14:18PM -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
> > It is about goddamn time, and I hope the government DOES get involved.
>
> Obviously you're out of meds, Karl.  :-)
>
> > Try calling ANY of the major NOCs to get a smurf traced.  Good luck.  I
> > have yet to have even attacks going on for more than an hour successfully
> > traced back to their source.
>
> Didn't say there wasn't a problem.  Just don't let's go _there_, ok?

No, we need to go there.

"Voluntary" cooperation isn't working, because the major NOCs don't
cooperate.  Like ever.  I've given up reporting these and just block the
amplifiers, because it is POINTLESS to spend 30 minutes on hold to get a
NOC person on the phone who either refuses assistance or refuses to
escalate the matter to someone who knows what to do.

Since they don't cooperate, the only two defenses are:

1.	Black-hole detected amplifier networks (what we're doing here).

2.	Government intervention to slap penalties on those who don't
	cooperate with such reports, and vendors who don't make it
	possible for NOCs to cooperate *reasonably*.

I'd really like it if this didn't have to happen.  Seriously.  But as long
as network operators decide to play stupid when they are hit with these
requests, and/or just tell you to bite it (and I've heard both) then the
two above steps are both reasonable and necessary.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV