RBL Update (Re: Lets go vixie!! rbl)

NetSurfer netsurf at sersol.com
Tue Jun 16 14:54:43 UTC 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Leo Bicknell wrote:

	I think the operational issue is who uses RBL, not that it
exists.  When a customer purchases e-mail services from an ISP there
should be no blocking unless it was specifically part of the contract.
For instance, I believe it would be a bad thing for an "aol" or a
"hotmail" to use the RBL to filter mail.  Basically it boils down to
content filtering being bad for an ISP.

--------- 8< snip

If an ISP advertises that it is anti-spam and participates in the RBL then
the customer knows up front that the ISP is filtering known spamblocks.
The ISP can even put it in their policy documents/user access agreements.
If they (the customers) don't like it they can select an ISP who lets all
the sewage pass through.  As long as you are up front about it the
customer has the choice to use them or not.

--
James D. Wilson
netsurf at sersol.com

"non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem"
    William of Ockham (1285-1347/49)