smurf amp nets

Oystein Homelien oystein at homelien.no
Sat Jun 13 16:02:38 UTC 1998

On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Michael Dillon wrote:

> > BTW...I have a theory for a way to get all or most of the big smurf amp
> > networks fixed real fast...but doing it would probably get me in big
> > trouble.
>
> Just find the amplifier nets and post their addresses here. Let someone
> else get in big trouble. The net result will be roughly the same. You do
> realize that 3l33t KrAkKeR d00dz monitor this list, don't you?

Publishing information about smurf amplifier networks seems to work fine
for now, albeit slowly.  I've been running the Smurf Amplifier Registry
for some time now, and it seems we have actually helped fix some networks.
Here are the current statistics:

                1119 networks have been probed with the SAR
                      369 of them are currently broken
                 61 have been fixed after being listed here

I'm happy to report that the most severe smurf amplifier network I've seen
until now today changed status to "fixed" in the registry (~1100 responses
per packet)!  :-)  I think we are making a difference.

And this is even before the more advanced functionality of the SAR has
been implemented.  In a short while it will be providing an incident
reporting system as well as automated nag-mailing to potential contacts
etc. of the listed smurf amplifier networks.

I again urge those of you who want to participate in fighting against
smurfing to please use this tool for all that it's worth.  Please visit us
and check out the listings and probe networks.  If you see a network in
there that you can help fix, then do it!

The URL is:

	http://www.powertech.no/smurf/

And btw: A big hand to those of you out there who have helped me by
showing interest in this, coming up with ideas and by actually using the
SAR.

Oystein Homelien                  |  oystein at powertech.no
PowerTech Information Systems AS  |  http://www.powertech.no/
Nedre Slottsgate 5, N-0157 OSLO   |  tel: +47-23-010-010, fax: +47-2220-0333