So... what's the best routing solution for..

Steve Sobol sjsobol at shell.nacs.net
Fri Jun 12 14:14:47 UTC 1998

On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 02:07:58AM -0400, Greg Simpson wrote:

> He said this was an ethernet handoff from the isp; they are not simply
> going to plug him into a switch; he will most likely get a port on a
> cisco; they should be able to apply policies for him.. no?

True.

> I don't see why he even needs a router, unless there is a lack of a trust
> of the upstream's ability to filter.. Or if you know beforehand they will
> not?

I don't know that I necessarily need a router. :>

> If your business requires offsite support of hw/sw, a 2514'd do you
> justice, but it can also be useful to have a un*x box as the router..
> cheap proxy/cache engine anyone?

If push comes to shove I can set up mgetty on the router box, get an
additional phone line and dial into it when needed.

Incidentally, if this is better discussed on another list,
I'll go subscribe to it and raise the question there...

--
Steven J. Sobol - Founding Member, Postmaster/Webmaster, ISP Liaison --
Forum for Responsible & Ethical E-mail (FREE) - Dedicated to education about,