So... what's the best routing solution for..

John Fraizer John.Fraizer at EnterZone.Net
Fri Jun 12 16:20:18 UTC 1998

At 02:07 AM 6/12/98 -0400, you wrote:

>He said this was an ethernet handoff from the isp; they are not simply
>going to plug him into a switch; he will most likely get a port on a
>cisco; they should be able to apply policies for him.. no?
>
>I don't see why he even needs a router, unless there is a lack of a trust
>of the upstream's ability to filter.. Or if you know beforehand they will
>not?

Depending on his upstream, the ethernet connection he gets may be off of
one of their backbone routers.  In that case, it would not be wise for them
to load it up with filters for each client.  Let it do it's job as a
backbone router and have the customer get a 2514 or a *nix box with some
sort of firewall util.

-------
John Fraizer    (root)          |    __   _                 |
The System Administrator        |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:root at EnterZone.Net       |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/       | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
                     A 486 is a terrible thing to waste...