WorldNIC

Dean Robb pceasy at norfolk.infi.net
Fri Jun 12 00:22:13 UTC 1998

At 12:34 6/9/98 -0700, you wrote:

>Of course, I could have simply asked the question that needs to be asked,
>namely: why would anyone want a name to include a category anyway?

Let's remember for a moment that not all net.users are net.savvy.  I think
the TLDs SHOULD have a logical category structure.  If I'm trying to find
an educational institution, I'd expect to find it in the .edu TLD, a
commercial organization in .com, etc.  As I recall, that's the entire
purpose in naming the TLDs as they are.

While there's no real NEED for TLD consistancy, it certainly makes life
easier and allows for differentiation between, for example only,
Liberty.edu (being Liberty University) and Liberty.com (Liberty Mutual
Insurance).

What do spammers and nails have in common?  They're both intended for
hammering.

Dean Robb
PC-Easy
On-site computer services