SPID and portmaster 2 BRI.

Fade fade at mail1.i1.net
Tue Jun 9 16:03:36 UTC 1998

Hi,

Here is a brief explanation of SPIDs taken from an email I saved long long
ago.  Hope it helps...

-=fade=-

There's not much to it. Simply put, SPIDs identify to the phone company
what types of services and features are supported for a given device.
SPIDs are optional in the ISDN standard, but usually required in North
America.   As I said above, SPIDs are usually 12 digit numbers consisting
of the area code, 7 digit number and some trailing 0s and/or 1s.  For
example: 408 555 1212 00).  The DN (Direct Number) is simply the "normal"
7 digit phone number.  For example: 555 1212.

There are three switch types the LS-ISDN and NI2B Dual-BRI card support:
AT&T 5ESS, Northern Telecom DMS100 and National ISDN-1 (NI1).  If a ISDN
service provider is using an AT&T 5ESS with a software revision lower than
5E8, then most likely the 5E can not support NI1.  In this case, SPIDs are
not required.  However, if they have the 5E set-up for NI1, they will
tell you to set up your equipment for NI1 and they will provide SPIDs and
DNs.  Same for the DMS-100...expect that SPIDs and DNs are usually always
required for the DMS-100, regardless if the switch is setup for NI1 or
DMS-100.

A good ISDN home page on the Web is:

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~fine/ISDN/

Also,