reset TCP connections to *.microsoft.com

Mr. Dana Hudes dhudes at graphnet.com
Tue Jun 9 17:08:08 UTC 1998

Anyone else experiencing trouble connecting various microsoft
www and ftp sites? I put a Sniffer on the line and found that
I have a part of a web page come up and then the connection is
reset.
This is using Netscape Communicator4 on both NT and SPARC
Solaris. If one uses IE3 it works better.
I find this highly suspicious. Also straight ftp from a unix
system
is very slow if you get in at all. I think we can all agree that
the tcp/ip stack on sparc solaris 2.5.1 is not likely broken
(patched
to current level, January '98, just in case) where NT might be
suspect even 4.0 w/service pack 3.

One possible problem I consider is that I have Path MTU discovery
turned on in all my routers interfaces (Bay RS12.10). My path to
microsoft is via Alter.Net . The local Ethernet MTU is 1518 but
the UUNET circuit is 1600. The packets I see come by with  "don't
fragment" set for several and then one that does not have DF and
then the TCP reset comes in.

Suggestions and opinions?

Thanks
Dana Hudes