$110,000 for Gated Source Code

Mr. Dana Hudes dhudes at graphnet.com
Tue Jun 9 15:05:59 UTC 1998

I agree with Alex. People don't seem to realize that GateD
ran the NFSNET backbone for years. Now, the key difference is
that was the Cornell version and now we have Merit enhancements
and fixes some of which are quite important. The Cornell version
is free, though I know there are bugs in it those bugs are
documented.
Some of the bugs are not *really* bugs -- most notorious to me is
the issue of OSPF restart (change your BGP policy, HUP GateD and
watch
your entire OSPF cloud lurch under LSDB recalculate because one
router
restarted OSPF). Merit fixed GateD to avoid this problem by
redoing the OSPF code. That work was funded by the GateD
Consortium, which is where your $10k goes.

So take your choice: Cornell Gated for free with some fixes over
what ran the NSFNET, or Merit GateD with some real improvements
for pay unless you get a research license to play with it.

Dana Hudes
Graphnet