$110,000 for Gated Source Code

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Tue Jun 9 07:54:47 UTC 1998

At 01:35 AM 6/8/98 +0000, brad wrote:
>> So far, I've had a large number of questions about a statement I made here
>> in NANOG. The statement was made in passing, while I was looking for
>> sources for something that would run BGP4 and allow us to transition from
>> static single-homing to dynamic multi-homing. Rather than answer, yet many
>> more inquiries, I am posting the answer here in NANOG, to fore-stall
>> further such inquiries.
>>
>> MHSC prefers open-source whenever we can get it and prefer to run
>> reference-standard code. This is why we run sendmail v8.8.8, qpopper, BIND,
>> and others.
>
>I see no need for open source when it is quite obvious you do not
>understand anything that you are compiling.

Before inserting your foot further into your insulting mouth, visit my
personal web-site. We also have a couple of PhD CS's around here somewhere,
oh yeah, they're working on paid-for commercial projects. How much money
have you stolen from the NSF to-date?

>> We are a Caldera VAR and our servers are built up from Caldera
>> Open Linux Standard edition, with about 30 add-ons <groan>. We *do* have
>> BRU, Netscape, and other commercial binaries that have been bought, but not
>> before attempting to find acceptable reference-standards. We have also
>> provided DewPoint/Caldera with input towards an Enterprise Server
>> distribution for Linux.
>>
>Linux.. the choice of a gnutered generation.

Bigotry and snobry, a sure sign of insecurity and penus envy. What's the
matter, didn't get laid last week-end?

>> Anyway, we've applied for an ASN and ran into the BGP4 requirement. Ergo,
>> we were looking for the reference-standard BGP4 implementation, which is
>> GateD. We (I) was *very* surprised at the attitude exhibited at
>> <http://www.gated.org>. Very much anti-commercial. But, that does not
>> matter to me as I have $other$ things to worry about (Paying the rent
>> around here is one of them <sigh>). Ergo, having run *that* trail to
>> ground, I posted a query here in NANOG, that Dean Anderson, Shane Wright,
>> Craig Labovit, and others have answered.
>
>Well, you can probably write your own BGP implementation in about
>a month.  This would cost you considerably less than $110k assuming
>a conservative valuation of your time ($4.25-$5.00/hr).

Buddy boy, you can't afford me <sheesh>!

>> I now have gated v3.5.9, for Linux, and am building it now. I'll probably
>> run into trouble, as I do with most things that don't have a configure
>> script, or have an otherwise non-standard build process (Why is it that
>> *only* the academic originated stuff is such a PITA? <sigh>).
>
>LINUX#make
>sh: make: command not found
>LINUX#Ihatethesefuckingcomputersasdf3252r23t2g
>sh: Ihatethesefuckingcomputersasdf3252r23t2g: command not found
>LINUX#goddamn these academic types
>etc..

Jeez, you can't even spell "damned" right. Also, in that context God is
capitalized.

Now, if Bradly wants to really play with something easy, install
Apache-SSL.mod-perl on a Linux box. Or anything else with a configure script.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com>rmeyer at mhsc.com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/