WorldNIC

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Tue Jun 9 03:58:48 UTC 1998

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Greg Simpson wrote:

> > cocacola.com when we can get a hundreds or perhaps thousands per year by
> > selling the Cocacola company their name in .com, .net, .org, .us, and a
> > host of other and future TLDs?"
>
> What about the "deeper meaning", ie, .org = nonprofit, .net = network
> provider etc, .com = commercial?

Where have you been?  Those meanings went out the window when they started
collecting money for domain registrations.  Once upon a time, .net and
.org were processed by hand, and if they didn't think your explanation
justified a domain in the TLD requested, they'd NAK your registration and
tell you why.

Now we pay for it, and it's gone from being done by hand (or at least
human moderated) to fully automated.  Hmm...

Back in early 1996, I had to really push and be somewhat creative to get a
particular .net registration through.

> Call me a whiner, but I still believe if .com is taken, you shouldn't
> take the .org unless you're truly nonprofit.

Well...most people go for .net before resorting to .org.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.