WorldNIC

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Tue Jun 9 03:01:00 UTC 1998

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> horribly stupid at worst.  This same sort of crap is why the government
> has felt it necessary to step in and legally limit the taking of
> natural resources in the physical world.

My theory is that either Network Solutions is just looking for more ways
to make a buck...or they want to make domain registration and modification
such a three ring circus that the US government will decide that in order
to keep order on the net, the TLDs must be controlled by a single
authority.  Since Network Solutions "owns" the current registration system
and databases, they'd be the natural choice for the one to be handed the
monopoly.  Remember when domain registrations regularly took days or weeks
to happen?  Do you really want to go back to that if Network Solutions
loses the monopoly, refuses to give up their setup, and some new company
has a few 15 year olds throw together a registration system?

> "Oh, cocacola.com is the same as cocacola.net, which is the same as
> cocacola.co...?  Why are the '.com' things there, then, at all?"

For the fees, obviously.  "Why should we settle for $35/year for
cocacola.com when we can get a hundreds or perhaps thousands per year by
selling the Cocacola company their name in .com, .net, .org, .us, and a
host of other and future TLDs?"

You say domain space is a natural resource.

Network Solutions agrees.  They're going to start strip mining it and run
to the bank with the proceeds.  Why should they care about the effects?
They're going to make boatloads of money.

> See how moronic this is?

No Jay...you missed economics 101.

Unfortunately, the Network Solutions people spent all their time in
economics and forgot to attend ethics 101 and biology 101.

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.