IP over SONET considered harmful?

Eric M. Carroll eric.carroll at acm.org
Sun Jun 7 03:10:14 UTC 1998

> And as much as an "IP over everything" bigot as I've been for the last
> 17 years or so, I still run into situations where what I *HAVE* to
> have is some kind of synchronous circuit. Wish it weren't so, but I can't
> just tell people "oh, you can't do that"...

So you put in a parallel SONET/TDM infrastructure for volume deployment of
TDM services. There is no way that CBR over ATM is economic in the large.
And if you are trying to solve a smaller TDM problem, there is lots of good
gear that could be wedged into a WDM fabric to deliver smaller volumes.
Either
way, this use of ATM will not prolong its lifespan. The numbers just do not
work.

Eric Carroll
Tekton Internet Associates