WorldNIC

Jay R. Ashworth jra at scfn.thpl.lib.fl.us
Sun Jun 7 17:37:53 UTC 1998

On Fri, Jun 05, 1998 at 12:05:58PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> I think the real fraud is in WorldNIC and other registrars (like Netnames in
> the UK) selling vanity names in country TLDs.  IANA encourages this.
> WorldNIC has an offer for $17,545 USD that will register a domain in all 72
> TLDs (or 5 domains in all 72 TLDs for $87,725 USD)...

It is obviously time (well, way past time, actually) for me to go make
a big hairy thing of myself on the domain policy lists; my NTIA NOI
comments, which in theory were part of the universe of info used by
Magaziner et al to come to their conclusions, harped on this point
heavily: you can't split the namespace horizontally (.com v. .firm v
.store) because people will do what Mindspring <loud growl> is
_encouragingg_ them to do: race to register their name in _every_
possibly TLD... which makes the whole thing useless.

Annoying as Jim Fleming is, he is running with an idea I also published
in those notes: .am, .fm and .tv.  Vertical division of the namespace
(by industry or licensure, for example) will work, and is an excellent
idea.  Otherwise, I'm considering proposing the abolishment of
non-geographic domains entirely.

And this is now entirely off-topic, and any replies will only be
entertained in email.

Cheers,
-- jra
The Suncoast Freenet      "Two words: Darth Doogie."  -- Jason Colby,
Tampa Bay, Florida             on alt.fan.heinlein             +1 813 790 7592

Managing Editor, Top Of The Key sports e-zine ------------ http://www.totk.com