Load balancing/Multiple CNAME's (Was: Re: Beyond DNS...)

Stephen Sprunk sprunk at paranet.com
Sat Jun 6 05:17:47 UTC 1998

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2181.txt

10.1. CNAME resource records

   The DNS CNAME ("canonical name") record exists to provide the
   canonical name associated with an alias name.  There may be only one
   such canonical name for any one alias.  That name should generally be
   a name that exists elsewhere in the DNS, though there are some rare
   applications for aliases with the accompanying canonical name
   undefined in the DNS.  An alias name (label of a CNAME record) may,
   if DNSSEC is in use, have SIG, NXT, and KEY RRs, but may have no
   other data.  That is, for any label in the DNS (any domain name)
   exactly one of the following is true:

     + one CNAME record exists, optionally accompanied by SIG, NXT, and
       KEY RRs,
     + one or more records exist, none being CNAME records,
     + the name exists, but has no associated RRs of any type,
     + the name does not exist at all.

Stephen

Stephen Sprunk, KD5DWP   "Oops."            Email: sprunk at paranet.com
CCIE #3723                -Albert Einstein  ICBM:  33.00151N 96.82326W