worldnic

Phillip Vandry vandry at Mlink.NET
Fri Jun 5 13:32:49 UTC 1998

> I must not be on enough or the right lists...but what's the deal with
> worldnic.com?  I'd not heard anything about it until today.  I tried to
> move a domain (a .org domain) for a customer today, and got the following
> reply from domreg at internic.net:
>
> Thank you for contacting Network Solutions, Inc., InterNIC
> Registration Services.
>
> The domain name you are attempting to update was registered
> through WorldNIC Services and should be updated via the following
>                 http://www.worldnic.com

I got one of those two last night.

I wouldn't consider it half as atrocious as it is, though, if it was
actually possible to find information about what exactly this worldnic
thing is and does on the web site!

> This looks like Network Solutions taking advantage of its position as
> controller of the big three commercially used TLDs to find new ways to dip
> their fingers into another part of the pie...perhaps in anticipation of
> losing their monopoly on domain registrations.

Since they are charging $119, which is move than the InterNIC fee, that
must be how they 'legalize' it. The normal fee goes to Internic, and
Worldnic keeps the rest. (And it's not supposed to matter in some
fictitious world that Worldnic and Internic are both Netsol)

-Phil