worldnic

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Fri Jun 5 02:21:57 UTC 1998

I must not be on enough or the right lists...but what's the deal with
worldnic.com?  I'd not heard anything about it until today.  I tried to
move a domain (a .org domain) for a customer today, and got the following
reply from domreg at internic.net:

Thank you for contacting Network Solutions, Inc., InterNIC
Registration Services.

The domain name you are attempting to update was registered
through WorldNIC Services and should be updated via the following
                http://www.worldnic.com

This looks like Network Solutions taking advantage of its position as
controller of the big three commercially used TLDs to find new ways to dip
their fingers into another part of the pie...perhaps in anticipation of
losing their monopoly on domain registrations.

What does my ISP need to do to get setup with Network Solutions such that
anytime someone wants to modify a domain registered through us, the
request is bounced litterally saying "you can't do that, go talk to FDT
about it."?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.