ADSL & iLEC

Dax Kelson dkelson at inconnect.com
Thu Jun 4 04:47:42 UTC 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Jonathan Arneault wrote:

> I just read (http://www.internews.com/isp-news/1998/06/0301-bell.html) that
> Bell Atlantic is looking to finally roll out xDSL.  However, not as a
> wholesale, unbundled service, but as an Internet service which will directly
> compete against ISPs.
[snip]
> for us "little guys" to compete against the behemoths?  Has anyone had
> similar experiences with their primary iLEC (such as PACBell and US West)?

US West just rolled out RADSL in Utah.

$40/month for a 256k bi-directional DSL line

USWEST.NET, US West's ISP, will sell you dedicated internet access over
that connection for $19.95/month.

Of course, the number to order either service is the same.

Of course when you call to order the DSL line they might give you a hard
sell to also sign-up with USWEST.NET.

Of course they might give out inconsistent and false information that
changes with every time you talk to them.

We are a DSL enabled ISP.  Our first DSL customer ordered his DSL line and
told them he wanted us as his ISP.  When the installed his line, they
mapped him to USWEST.NET's ISP!!!  I also know of two other confirmed
cases were the customer chose a local DSL ISP, and they mapped them
instead to USWEST.NET.

I could go on and on about the VERY APPALLING situation here with USW and
DSL and Internet access, about regulated and unregulated services, etc,
etc.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.