different thinking on exchanging traffic

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Thu Jun 4 04:35:39 UTC 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> Something of interest here might be centralising services at NAPs. For
> example, putting a news server at the NAP running Cylone, the NAP
> purchasing a news only T1 (or whatever) to serve the box, and then
> participants who would like a news feed getting it directly from this
> box and paying extra.

I went one step further and talked to some of the local ISPs about pooling
some $ and having a NAP-owned nnrp server.  Why waste bandwidth and
hardware duplicating a beast such as usenet servers if its not necessary.
The ones I talked to agreed it seemed a good idea, but nothing ever came
of it.

> Just out of curiousity, since I'm not in the US, how much would a T1 cost
> point to point inside a city, without default IP transit? With IP transit?

In BellSouth land, I know a local point to point T1 circuit can be had for
about $300/month ($1700 install).  With CLEC's getting into the business
of selling circuits (especially if they have their own fiber) prices can
be whatever they want to charge...usually less than the ILEC :)

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Spammers will be winnuked or
 Network Administrator       |  drawn and quartered...whichever
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |  is more convenient.