Sprint's New ION products (fwd)

Paul Zawada zawada at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Jun 3 18:08:08 UTC 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998, David Lesher wrote:
> Tom Walton sez:
> >
> > The most troubling thing to me about the ION plan is that it
> > seems to revolve around the idea of using LEC local loops to
> > deliver service to home customers. The LECs are not going to
> > be enthusiastic about providing an unbundled loop to
> > facilitate being cut out of their long-distance termination
> > fees. This could be a very slow roll for Sprint.
>
> Count on SPRINT being their own CLEC; why would they give
> away the gravy?

One measure of how serious Sprint is about ION is how their ILEC arm
(ex-UTS, ex-Centel) treats it.  Granted, the Sprint ILEC doesn't serve
many major metropolitain areas, but it covers enough ground to make it
worth watching...

> Buy PBX stock, and count on the
> ILEC's fighting this tooth and nail, down to the last T-75 staple
> and pole spike.

You forgot to mention Scotchloks. ;-)

--zawada

Paul J. Zawada, RCDD     | Senior Network Engineer
zawada at ncsa.uiuc.edu     | National Center for Supercomputing Applications
+1 630 686 7825          | http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/zawada